A cart extra is essentially a booking extra that can be added to a reservation by the guest, owner, or reservationist. Extras can be made mandatory, meaning they will automatically apply to all quotes and bookings, or they can be optional, where the guest has the choice to add it to their stay. Some examples of mandatory cart extras would be, an "Accidental Damage Waiver," a "Resort Fee," or "Property Protection." Some examples of optional cart extras would be, a "Pet Fee," a "BBQ Grill," or a "Welcome Pack."
To access the Cart Settings, click:
- Reservations & Quoting
- Cart Settings
How to add a cart extra:
- Click the "Plus" icon"
- Enter the code (a short description or abbreviation of the extra)
- Add the description (a description of the extra)
- Click the "Save" icon
How to configure the extra:
To apply the settings to the extra, click the "Edit" icon and the configuration window will appear.
- Edit the code or description
- Specify if the extra is optional, mandatory, or a stay-collect fee (this is only supported by VRBO, where the fee will not be charge until the guest arrives)
- If it is a discount code, check the box "Discount code?"
- Track Stock - if there's limited quantity, enter the starting number. For example, if there are only 20 BBQ Grill's available, enter 20 in the quantity field. Click on "Report" to see available quantity in stock.
- Show in Online Cart - allows the guest to add the extra upon booking on website
- Specify if owners can add the extra within the Owner Portal
- All Properties - specify if the extra is available for all properties, if not, uncheck this box, and specify the applicable properties
Depending on the tax types that have been configured in the system, specify if each tax type applies to this extra.
- Click the checkbox to charge Sales Tax
- Click the checkbox to charge Tourist Tax
- Fixed amount? - enter the fixed cost in the "Amount" field which could include a markup to charge to the guest. Enter the cost to the vendor, if applicable. For example, if the BBQ Grill is hired from a third-party vendor and $50 is due to them, enter $50. The system will calculate the margin.
- Daily amount? - enter the daily charge of the extra in the "Amount" field and the vendor cost, if applicable.
- Minimum Daily Amount - enter the minimum amount to charge the guest. For example, if the BBQ Grill is $50 per day, but the guest only stays 1 night, and the minimum charge is $100, enter $100 as the minimum charge.
- Percentage? - Enter the percentage amount. If the cart extra is a discount, enter a (-) sign in front of the percentage amount. I.E. if discount is 10% off a reservation, the system will deduct 10% from the base rental rate. If the cart extra is not a discount code, the item amount will be a percentage of the base rental rate.
- Charge per guest? - If the extra should be charged based on the number of guests, click the checkbox and check "Age bands apply" and then click "Edit." Click the "Plus" icon to enter the ages of the guest and the price.
- Date range applies - if the extra is only available during specific dates, click this checkbox and then "Edit." In the window, click "Add" and enter the dates that the extra can be booked and the dates that it is available (effective start - end dates).
- Vendor - Assign the contact/vendor to the extra if applicable. For example, if the BBQ Grill is hired from a third-party, assign the BBQ Rental Company as the vendor.
Percentage of Fee to MC
The income from cart extras can be split between Management Company and Owner. Enter the percentage values. For example, if the BBQ Grill rental is $100, who retains this cost? The MC or the Owner? If the MC keeps 100% of the cost for both MC and Owner bookings, specify 100% in both fields.
If the MC retains 50% of the cost for both MC and Owner bookings, specify 50% in both fields.
Min. and Max.
- Min. Stay - if the guest must stay a minimum number of nights to add the extra, specify the number of nights
- Max. Stay - if there is a maximum number of nights the guest must stay, specify the number of nights
- Min. guests - if there is a minium number of guests required to add the extra, specify the number of guests
- Max. guests - if there is a maximum number of guests, specify the number of nights
Click the "Save" button from any tab to successfully save the settings.
Please keep in mind, each channel supports different settings for the extras that they support. Please click here to see the documentation on how to configure extras for specific channels.
Extra Margin Report
The system can generate a profit/loss report for any extras where the amount to the guest, and the amount to the vendor has been entered. Using the example from above, if the BBQ Grill is hired from a third-party vendor and $50 is due to them, but the amount to the guest is $75, the Property Manager will profit $15. It is recommended to generate the cart extra margin report on a monthly basis to calculate the profits due to the Property Manager.
Please follow these steps:
- Click on "Margin Report"
- Enter the start and end date. For instance, enter the previous months date range.
- Specify to include bookings arriving, departing, or that were added between these dates
- Specify whether to include extras from canceled bookings
- Click "Refresh"
The table displays the following:
- The Booking ID
- Extra Code
- Extra Description
- MC Price - this is the cost charged to the guest including a markup
- Vendor Price - this is the cost due to the vendor
- Profit / Loss - this is the margin based off of the difference between the MC & Vendor price
- Vendor - this is the contact assigned to the extra (BBQ Grill Company for example)
The table can be exported to Excel, by clicking the "Export" icon.